Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ick!

I've managed to break another printer. Which is really easy to do. At least this one lasted three years before a paper jam brought it to its death of obvious forced obsolescence. Can office equipment just cost a lot of money and not break all the time? I'm just slightly furious about how bad the manufacturing quality of, well, everything is, if you can't tell already. Like we really need more crap in the landfill.

I've checked online. According to a dozen different printer websites, once the paper feed breaks, it's next to impossible for a consumer to repair this printer since the company can't be bothered to sell spare parts.

So, instead of taking this to the e-waste dump, I decide I will give this printer one last shot by putting it on freecycle. I might not be able to fix it, but maybe someone else can use it as just a scanner or a fax machine.

An hour after listing the printer on freecycle, "Jason" arrived at my door to pick up the broken printer. He works in IT and thinks he can make the printer work again or at least part it out to repair another printer. Score one for the environment!

Five minutes ago I received the following email:

From: Jason xxxx
Date: October 28, 2008 at 12:40 PM
Subject: [freecycle] OFFER: Epson 3 in 1 printer/fax/scanner
To: The Producer

Thank you for the scanner. I give massages if you ever need one.

Jason




Ew. I'm sure "Jason" is beating off to the printer's warranty paperwork as I type this.

(Patting my arm hairs down).

Ew.

No comments: