Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Love Thy Neighbors

I am so lucky to have neighbors who I can also call my friends. Today I was a food stylist for a tv show. I baked a bunch of edible props for the actors to eat as part of a sight gag. Since I didn't want to spend all day slaving over a hot stove (the job still took 11 hours--ugh) in the dead heat of summer, I borrowed a glass baking dish from my awesome neighbor Lizbeth so I could make two sets of brownies at a time. "Can I have a brownie in trade?" asked Lizbeth. "That's a given," I answered.

Since I'm being a complete tightwad because I'm broke, I decided to use the chocolate chips I had in my house already to make the brownies instead of spending the petty cash I was given to buy unsweetened baking chocolate. I found a recipe on the internet that had splended reviews that used chocolate chips. "Ooey, gooey, chewy!" the reviewers raved.

I baked the brownies. They were ooey, gooey, and chewey as advertised. The top also shattered and flaked off when I tried to remove the brownies from the pan. The recipe is delicious, but not tv ready. I trudged over to the market, bought some baking chocolate, and added another hour of baking to my day by remaking the brownies with the standard baking chocolate recipe.

I don't have time to do it right, but I have time to do it over. Sigh.

At any rate, I returned Lizbeth's baking dish with a full slab of unphotogenic brownies included. She couldn't believe it. She kept saying how nice it was to bring her an entire batch of brownies.

Can I count this as being intentionally nice if I also brought her peanut butter cookies?

No comments: