Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hollywood Ending

It's New Years' Eve and I can't find anyone to be nice to. No one is around. Even the homeless people I want to give my recycling to are not hanging out at their usual spot by the dumpsters in back of the corner liquor store. Mr. Foxypants and I will be ringing in the New Year by watching a marathon of MAD MEN episodes and eating Chinese take-out like the crabby shut-ins we are.

Okay. I admit it. I'm too lazy to find someone to be nice to today. I just want spend all day in relaxed contemplation.

Oh, why is it that I cannot talk about self-reflection without sounding like a self-involved twit?


I am a failure. As far as my 2008 pledge to be nice every day...well, I didn't do it. Finding 365 new and inventive ways of being nice for no good reason is much harder than I ever anticipated. That, and I'm a crappy memoirist, so even when I was nice, there were many days that I just didn't get around to writing stuff down.

But even though my resolve was shoddy, and my follow-though haphazard, being consciously and actively nice had many unintended positive consequences:

1. Not only did I pay down my debt, but unlike everyone else I know, I can actually say that I am better off financially than I was last year.

2. My charity allowed me to downsize my material possessions by a whopping 85% without feeling a sense of deprivation or guilt. In fact, I found the entire process liberating. Less things = less things to dust. Duh. Simplifying my life by getting rid of my stuff has brought me a level of mental peace I've not had in years.

3. Being nice has brought me new friends and strengthened my relationship with the friends I already had. There are many ways to be rich that don't involve money!

So, the experiment was a success?

Happy New Year!


thenonconsumeradvocate said...

Now that the year of being officially nice is over, will you start being the stark, raving mean person you were meant to be?

You can start back-stabbing, back-talking and all the good back-this-n-that-ing available.

Maybe you can watch a few episodes of "Entourage" and study the Ari Gold character for pointers.

If you're still having trouble, I can give you the names of a few girls I went to high school with for tips.

Good luck in 2009. A night in with "Mad Men" and Chinese food sounds like the pinnacle of perfection.


MeadowLark said...

Interesting place here. I have a girlfriend who writes in that hell-hole you describe ;) I'm always amazed at "the business" and glad I live in the middle o'nothing.

Stopped by from the nonconsumeradvocate. Good person there. Oh, and no need to post this, just saying hello!